Re: [Xen-devel] Sound support in Xen?!

A networked solution will probably work well enough --- even a stereo
16-bit 44kHz stream would be less than 1Mbps. However, a custom
frontend/backend could work very nicely. It wouldn't be necessary to
have much signalling from frontend -> backend because the backend will
simply poll the data ring at the appropriate rate. It'd be very low
overhead.

If oding this I'd put the 'backend driver' in a user-space app so that
it can easily make use of existing software audio mixers.

 -- Keir

> On that subject, what would be involved in writing a sound driver with front
> end and back end components, so that xenU sees a normal sound card and xen0
> can mix the outputs together and pump them out to a real sound card?
>
> I guess sound in virtual machines only has limited uses though, and most of
> those could be serviced via existing networked solutions.
>
> James

 -=- MIME -=-