[Xen-devel] Re: Lockup at boot with nFroce SATA

  • To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Milan Holzäpfel <lists@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2004 11:36:42 +0100
  • Delivery-date: Sun, 14 Nov 2004 11:40:59 +0000

On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 20:03:58 -0000
"Ian Pratt" <m+Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > My guess would be that there's some code in the driver that
> > > is taking
> > > liberties with treating physical and bus addresses as the
> > > same. If you
> > > can add some tracing to the driver to narrow things down we may be
> > > able to help you.
> >
> > I have very similar problem with sata_via (SCSI) driver.
> > Can you give me pointers to track down the problem ?
>
> Are you getting a hang or a kernel oops?

hang, no oops message or anything, it just stops

> See if the driver has any debug tracing you can enable. If not, just sprinkle
> some printk's around. Pay particular attention to any 'virt_to_phy' or
> similar functions - they should probably be virt_to_bus.

Well just after writing my last mail I had a short look at the driver,
and I think I have found some path from the driver initialization part
down to where the last messages are printed, but I hadn't time to add
printks or whatever so far.  But thanks for the funtion name, I will pay
attention to it when I get to having a look at it.

A word to Keir's post:  From my experimentation a week ago, I do
remember that some different IRQ was used for the S-ATA controller with
native linux vs Xen linux.

On another point, I don't know how much output I will produce (for my
two disks at two ports), but I doubt that it will fit my screen if I am
finally diligent in the driver :)  So either I capture the log via some
serial port (if that is possible to do with just another PC next to it
and some cable) or via the kernel's net-log-facility, but that would
require it working before the initialization of the S-ATA controller...
ok I won't look at it right now anyway but if you have some links lying
around, feel free to post them ;)

(in case you should be interested, I just spend this weeks free time
participating in bwinf, "Bundeswettbewerb für Informatik", some German
informatics competition, and I have 3 class tests to do this week, so
maybe I get to it next weekend or so :) )

> I suspect the problem is localised to the driver, as the sata_promise driver
> works for us just fine.

that sounds reasonable

> Ian

Regards,
Milan

- --

                   Milan Holzäpfel alias jagdfalke alias jag

Antworten direkt an mich                             Answers directly to me
gehen bitte an eine Addresse,                        go to an address one
die man hier finden kann:                            can find here, please:

Kontaktinfos sowie                                   Contact infos as well as
Öff GnuPG-Schlüssel    <URL:http://con.mjh.name/>    GnuPG Public Key
GnuPG Fingerabdruck     4C8A 5FAF 5D32 6125 89D1     GnuPG Fingerprint
                        0CE5 DB0C AF4F 6583 7966

                    http://www.deppenleerzeichen.de/