Re: [Xen-devel] xen 2.0.1, 2.4.27, 2.6.9, non-bridge

Adam Heath wrote:
Configuring a bridge is a multi-step process.  At one point during the
process, normal communication is severed over eth0, while the bridge itself is
not yet fully functional.

At this point, the root filesystem is no longer available, and the machine
falls over.

Okay, I see what you're doing. I think. Though I don't understand why it is that you'd be setting up a bridge in an unprivileged domain - once you're to the point of booting an unprivileged domain, the bridge setup should already be long done on the domain 0 side.

I'd prefer to not do it with an initrd, as that's an added step, and extra
complexity.

If you're doing something that requires that level of network reconfiguration while being booted via NFS root, that may be the only way to do it.

Yeah, I've hacked the script.  As I said, it's doing a /32 netmask, and a host
route over the vifX.X interface.  If I turn off proxy_arp(but leave
ip_forwarding turned on), I can ping the hard-coded ip address(of the new
xenU) from dom0.  It's not until I enable proxy_arp that it falls over.

I've used proxy ARP on Linux before (not with Xen specifically), so I'd say excluding a case where you're hitting a major bug, I'd have to see what commands you're running to set up the proxy ARP. This doesn't sound right to me. It shouldn't affect the ability of the system doing the proxy ARP to resolve the target IP address to the target MAC.

--
Derrik Pates
dpates@xxxxxxxxxx