[Xen-devel] Newbie question re: root partition spec in grub.conf

  • To: <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "Quinton Hoole" <quinton@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2005 16:05:09 +0200
  • Delivery-date: Thu, 20 Jan 2005 14:06:47 +0000

Hi

So I’ve followed the installation manual and got Xen to boot, with
XenLinux 2.6.10 on top of it.  The relevant part of my grub.conf looks
like this…

#boot=/dev/hdb
title Xen 2.0 / XenLinux 2.6.10
        kernel /xen.gz dom0_mem=131072
        module /vmlinuz-2.6.10-xen0 root=/dev/hdb2 ro console=tty0

My problem is that I'm not convinced that I'm using the correct root
partition in the last line (I warned you, I'm a newbie to Xen as well as
linux, so please be gentle with me if these sound like really dumb
questions ;-).

/dev/hdb2 is the root partition of my original (Fedora FC2) linux
installation, while I would have thought that I should be using a
partition containing stuff ported to Xen?  But where is that, or how do
I create it?  The above grub.conf works to some extent, and results in a
vaguely successful boot into the Fedora linux (although the mouse
doesn't work, and I'm not sure how much else is broken).   But my guess
is that I'm using the wrong boot partition.  Can someone help to clarify
my understanding here, and set me right?

Thanks in advance...

Quinton