[Xen-devel] Xen to use OSDL DCO aka "Signed-of-by:"

  • To: "xen-devel" <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "Ian Pratt" <m+Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2005 21:05:14 -0000
  • Cc: "Ian Pratt" <Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Delivery-date: Fri, 21 Jan 2005 21:08:16 +0000

Folks,

Now the number of contributors to Xen is expanding beyond the core team
in the University and a couple of close partners, we need to formalise
the patch submission process.

A while back, Linux adopted the OSDL "Developer's Certificate of
Origin", whereby anyone that submits a patch has to add a
"Signed-off-by: myname@xxxxxxxxx" to the comments submitted with the
patch. By adding the Signed-off-by: line, the developer certifies:

  By making a contribution to this project, I certify that:

  (a) The contribution was created in whole or in part by me and I have
  the right to submit it under the open source license indicated in the
  file; or

  (b) The contribution is based upon previous work that, to the best of
my
  knowledge, is covered under an appropriate open source license and I
  have the right under that license to submit that work with
  modifications, whether created in whole or in part by me, under the
same
  open source license (unless I am permitted to submit under a different
  license), as indicated in the file; or

  (c) The contribution was provided directly to me by some other person
  who certified (a), (b) or (c) and I have not modified it.

We believe it will be good practice for Xen to adopt the same DCO
sign-off procedure. From now on, Xen maintainers will be insisting that
all submitted patches have a signed-off-by: line from the submitter,
then will add their own Signed-off-by signature, as per clause (c).

I'd be very grateful if you could all help make our task as maintainers
easier by remembering to include the DCO so we don't have to ask you to
resubmit patches.