Re: [Xen-devel] Xen 3.0 x86 + PAE with > 16 GB RAM?

On 6 Jan 2006, at 22:21, Derrik Pates wrote:

Can this safely be increased? From my reading of the code, it appears
that it is set as it is because each gigabyte of installed RAM requires
a megabyte of RAM to be set aside for mapping tables and such. If I just
increase the value of MACHPHYS_MBYTES to 32 (for example), should Xen
boot and work happily, just consuming more RAM for its mapping tables?

Please Cc: me with your reply, as I'm not subscribed to this list currently.

The memory layout of Xen is hardcoded in asm-x86/config.h, and also in public/arch-x86_32.h. If the addresses of certain critical structures are modified appropriately then things should work fine. Of course Linux will end up with less kernel virtual address space and hence less lowmem.

 -- Keir