Re: [Xen-devel] [BUNDLE] Testing a simpler inter-domain transport

On Sun, 2006-02-05 at 10:56 -0600, Anthony Liguori wrote:
> Rusty Russell wrote:
>
> >It's unoptimized, but shows some promise.  Here are the benchmarks for
> >tcpblast and tbench, on a uniproc 3GHz Pentium 4.  I'd appreciate SMP
> >numbers if someone has hardware on hand:

> I imagine the numbers for the Simple share should be pretty similiar for
> domU to domU right?  I also imagine that domU to domU under Current xen
> should be considerably worse right?

Yes.  The current driver is a hack, which creates the shared page when
invoked (in dom0) with "create" as a module param.  However, you can
attach as many domUs as you want to that same LAN.

> Any idea why there's UDP degradation?

No 8(.  I'm going to write a block driver and see what that's like.

I was surprised at how aggressively Xen is switching between domains
when an event channel was activated: so much so that we rarely got 32
packets off before the switch.   Less aggressive scheduling will
definitely help us, and possibly help the existing drivers.

> This stuff looks awesome :-)

Thanks, just fiddling.  It'll be interesting to see what changes the PPC
guys will need for this.

Cheers!
Rusty.
--