Re: [Xen-devel] [BUNDLE] Testing a simpler inter-domain transport

On Sun, Feb 05, 2006 at 02:38:51PM +1100, Rusty Russell wrote:
> Hi all,
>
>       I've finally found time to resurrect my "share" code, update it for Xen
> 3.0 and (with Tony Breeds' help) created a simple LAN driver.  You can
> find the bundle here:
>
>       http://ozlabs.org/~rusty/xen/xen-share-2006-02-05.hg

  Hum, I tried
    hg clone http://ozlabs.org/~rusty/xen/xen-share-2006-02-05.hg
and my version fails with a zlib compression error raising an incorrect header
check,

> It's unoptimized, but shows some promise.  Here are the benchmarks for
> tcpblast and tbench, on a uniproc 3GHz Pentium 4.  I'd appreciate SMP
> numbers if someone has hardware on hand:
>
>       UDP blast: tcpblast -u -s50000 dom0 9999
>         Current Xen = 254961 KB/s
>         Simple share = 233952 KB/s
>       TCP blast: tcpblast -t -s50000 dom0 9999
>         Current Xen = 86566.4 KB/s
>         Simple share = 135415 KB/s
>       Bidir tcp load: tbench 10
>         Current Xen = 31.9551 MB/sec
>         Simple share = 64.2113 MB/sec
>
> It's not plumbed into xenbus, so creating LANs is a manual process,
> using the dmesg output from the initial creation:
>
>       dom0# modprobe ohlan create
>       ohlan: created lan eth1 at address 0x1b6000
>       domU# modprobe ohlan address=0x1b6000
>
> Feedback welcome!

  point to point performances looks good, but I'm starting to worry about
thing like group communication in a large Xen machine, assuming you can run
a few dozens domains consurrently, it may be useful to get some efficient
muticast based communication mechanism, the shared pages should help in some
ways (usuall memory/speed tradeoff though). Did you look at this ?

Daniel

veillard@xxxxxxxxxx  | libxml GNOME XML XSLT toolkit  http://xmlsoft.org/