RE: [Xen-devel] Does dom0 see all physical processors? (RE:[Xen-ia64-devel] SAL INFO virtualization)

> I understand and sympathize with the need for dom0 to
> sometimes get and use information from each processor that is
> only available if dom0 is running on each processor.
>
> However, AFAIK, SMP guests are always gang-scheduled, correct?

No, there's no need to strictly gang schedule, and the current scheduler makes
no attempt to do so. It may generally be a decent thing to do, though.

> (If not, aren't there some very knotty research issues
> related to locking and forward progress?)

You could end up preempting a vCPU holding a lock which could lead to daft
behaviour of naïve spin locks. A number of possible workarounds have been
prototyped, but since it doesn't seem to be much of a problem in practice
nothing has been checked in.

> So on a 16-processor system, every time dom0 needs to run
> (e.g. to handle backend I/O for any one of perhaps hundreds
> of domains), *every* domain gets descheduled so that dom0 can
> be (gang-)scheduled on all 16 processors?
>
> If true, this sounds like a _horrible_ performance hit, so I
> hope I'm misunderstanding something...

This isn't an issue.

After booting you probably want dom0 to give up all but 1 vCPU anyway.

Ian