[Xen-devel] Re: [Xen-changelog] Define Xen interface version for tools build.

On Thu, Apr 06, 2006 at 10:20:07AM +0100, Keir Fraser wrote:

> We'd like to avoid the kernel sparse tree from becoming very
> intertwined with our repository's build system. I like the current
> method of specifying the interface version via Kconfig,

Kconfig only specifies the interface version the kernel supports, not
the "latest Xen interface version". Inherenly specifying the latet
interface version Xen supports should be done in a Xen specific
file. We are currently using the same file (xen-compat.h) in both Xen
and the kernel build, which is pretty warty. Perhaps the check against
the Xen version should be done only in run time?

> and I think the
> independence that gains us outweighs the hassle of having to update
> both the Kconfig and Xen's xen-compat.h.

Sure, it's not a major issue. Just one (more) potential headache.

> The tools definition is a bit of a pain I agree. Hence the suggestion
> we pin it to always select the latest interface version, since we
> currently always build tools and hypervisor as a matched pair.

I agree that the kernel should be seperate from Xen. If the kernel and
Xen each their own copy of xen-compat.h, we could have one (shared)
definition for Xen and tools and one definition for the kernel. Are
there any plans to switch to the seperate kernel hg tree as the "main"
kernel repository instead of the sparse tree soon?

Cheers,
Muli
--
Muli Ben-Yehuda