Re: [Xen-devel] [patch] "frame number" size in hypercall ABI

On 20 Apr 2006, at 22:15, Hollis Blanchard wrote:

But those single values can't be passed around as longs in other areas,
such as libxc. In libxc there is usually a path of xc_get_pfn_list()
-> ... -> xc_map_foreign_page() (or whatever), and I need to make sure
that the PFNs don't get truncated to 32 bits anywhere along that path.

Is 44 bits of machine address not enough on ppc? That's a pretty big address space, even if RAM is moderately sparse.

So I don't want to limit this patch to just *arrays* of PFNs. That means
it would have to encompass all "frame numbers" in the Xen interface,
including dom0_ops, memory_ops, start_info, shared_info... Is that a
logical split for you?

It makes sense in the interface as you really care about the size there.

Are you waiting for this patch to be finalized before applying the
GET/SET_HANDLE patch?

You wanted to do the xen_pfn_t patch first. For the other, the names should be GET/SET_GUEST_HANDLE.

 -- Keir