Re: [Xen-devel] current hg unstable tree: arch/i386/kernel/built-in.o: In function `safe_halt': undefined reference to `rcu_needs_cpu'

On Thu, 2006-06-15 at 13:10 +0200, Hans-Christian Armingeon wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, 15. Juni 2006 12:26 schrieben Sie:
> > I was worried that I had broken a standard part of the xen build process
> > when I submitted my patch but I think you are doing something that is
> > not supported.
> >
> > The long-term solution to your problem is clearly to complete the
> > upstream merge of the xen patches with mainstream Linux.
> >
> > There are some issues with making it easier for people to try to use
> > non-default kernels.  It's going to make recreating bugs harder and
> > may cause some spurious problems when patches apply cleanly but are
> > incompatible with the chosen kernel.
>
> So using the latest 2.6.16.x kernel isnt actually supported?

I'm a bit out of my depth with the xen build process here and perhaps
someone will correct me but AFAIK, the standard build process in the
xen-unstable tree will currently just build 2.6.16.13 and it is a manual
process for someone to make the change in the unstable tree to move
forwards to a later Linux snapshot.

This should make sense to you if you think that the code in the sparse
tree and the patches in the patches directory all have to be consistent
with the version of Linux chosen and changes to Linux are outside the
control of the Xen developers. So any future version of Linux may
require changes in the sparse tree and the patches directory before it
will work correctly.

Perhaps someone who knows more would like to comment on support for
Linux point releases.