Re: [Xen-devel] current hg unstable tree: arch/i386/kernel/built-in.o: In function `safe_halt': undefined reference to `rcu_needs_cpu'

> I'm a bit out of my depth with the xen build process here and perhaps
> someone will correct me but AFAIK, the standard build process in the
> xen-unstable tree will currently just build 2.6.16.13 and it is a manual
> process for someone to make the change in the unstable tree to move
> forwards to a later Linux snapshot.

Yep.

> This should make sense to you if you think that the code in the sparse
> tree and the patches in the patches directory all have to be consistent
> with the version of Linux chosen and changes to Linux are outside the
> control of the Xen developers. So any future version of Linux may
> require changes in the sparse tree and the patches directory before it
> will work correctly.

Yep yep.

> Perhaps someone who knows more would like to comment on support for
> Linux point releases.

The 2.6.x.y releases generally have small changes moving from y -> y+1.  As a
result it's often possible to stick the appropriate patch in the patches/
directory (or apply it directly to the build tree and rebuild) and have it
work.

There are only a few places in generic code where there could be conflicts,
and often the stable series patches don't touch the arch-specific code at
all.

Strictly you should check through the patch and look for conflicts with
Xen-related stuff.  However, often (maybe even usually) it'll work, it's just
not officially supported.

Cheers,
Mark

> > Or is that supported, but using a 2.6.17.x kernel wouldn't be supported?
> >
> > Johnny
> >
> > > Harry.

Dave: Skateboards have wheels.
Mark: My wheel has a wheel!