Re: [Xen-devel] blocking Xen 3.X production use: soft lockup bugs

On 4/8/06 9:21 pm, "Steve Traugott" <stevegt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> You nailed it, Keir.
>
> On Thu, Aug 03, 2006 at 09:03:18AM +0100, Keir Fraser wrote:
>> Also older versions using sedf scheduler (which has now been patched to
>> avoid this) could end up with domain0 consuming all CPU and starving
>> other guests, leading to softlockup errors. We haven't seen any such
>> errors on our own test machines since this was fixed. Of course, that
>> doesn't mean there aren't problems with other test scenarios!
>
> That is exactly what was happening.  I did more testing yesterday and
> last night (-testing changeset 9732), and realized that I was only
> seeing soft lockups on the second of two domU guests, and only when
> running a heavy load in dom0.  According to 'xm vcpu-list' the second
> guest was on CPU 0, as was the workload in dom0...  I added more
> workload processes to consume both CPUs in dom0, and of course when I
> did that, the first guest ground to a halt and started showing soft
> lockups as well.

It's *always* worth trying the tip of 3.0-testing if you're seeing problems
with a strictly older version. In this case there are about 50 newer
changesets, many of which are the result of aggressive testing by Suse for
SLES10. Well worth having.

 -- Keir