[Xen-devel] Re: A proposal - binary

David Lang wrote:
I'm not commenting on any of the specifics of the interface calls (I trust you guys to make that be sane :-) I'm just responding the the idea that the interface actually needs to be locked down to an ABI as opposed to just source-level compatability.

you are right that the interface to the HV should be stable. But those are going
to be specific to the HV, the paravirt_ops allows the kernel to smoothly deal
with having different HV's.
So in a way it's an API interface to allow the kernel to deal with multiple
different ABIs that exist today and will in the future.