[Xen-devel] Re: A proposal - binary

On Fri, 4 Aug 2006, Jeff Dike wrote:

On Fri, Aug 04, 2006 at 12:06:28PM -0700, David Lang wrote:
I understand this, but for example a UML 2.6.10 kernel will continue to run
unmodified on top of a 2.6.17 kernel, the ABI used is stable. however if
you have a 2.6.10 host with a 2.6.10 UML guest and want to run a 2.6.17
guest you may (but not nessasarily must) have to upgrade the host to 2.6.17
or later.

Why might you have to do that?

take this with a grain of salt, I'm not saying the particular versions I'm listing would require this

if your new guest kernel wants to use some new feature (SKAS3, time virtualization, etc) but the older host kernel didn't support some system call nessasary to implement it, you may need to upgrade the host kernel to one that provides the new features.

David Lang