Re: [Xen-devel] Re: Communicating with the domU from dom0 without Network

On Wed, 2006-08-09 at 14:09 +0200, Daniel Stodden wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-08-09 at 05:17 +0530, Ligesh wrote:
> >  Your arguments are valid in the case of domU-domU communication system,
> > but not for dom0-domU. The dom0 will be, and should be aware of migrations
> > and also there should be non-networking mechanism to manage and control
> > every aspect of domU from dom0. This in my opinion, is a basic requirement.
> >  But I think ppp over serial port might be the exact thing what I was
> > looking for. PPP doesn't provide domU-domU, but yes domU-domU actually
> > defeats the entire purpose of Xen which is isolation, and also that Xen
> > should be agnostic about the type of the OS running inside the domU.

> again, i totally agree that there's a lot to be gained from lightweight
> host-local packet streams.

addendum: the problem may just be that different people expect different
things from xen. once you're running non-server systems, e.g.
integrating a windows guest with your otherwise xen/linux-driven host
for desktop applications, migration gets less interesting. and that is
probably where i'm all for a flat alternative network stack as well.

the whole posting was just meant to make people keeping the stateful
connection migration thing in mind when discussing inter-domain
communications.

> but it will remain coming at a cost whenever
> applied to domU, and the fun part is that what you originally wanted to
> achieve, simplyfing domain management by short-circuiting the domU
> access, will ultimately turn into something way more adventurous than
> the IP-based approach as soon as migration comes into play.

daniel

--
Daniel Stodden
LRR     -      Lehrstuhl fÃr Rechnertechnik und Rechnerorganisation