[Xen-devel] Latest XenOprofile patch for Oprofile 0.9.1

  • To: <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "Santos, Jose Renato G" <joserenato.santos@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 20:07:43 -0700
  • Delivery-date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 20:08:14 -0700

Attached is the latest version of the patch for oprofile 0.9.1 that
enable system wide profiling in Xen. This patch is for Oprofile user
level tools since the kernel and xen bits are already included in
current xen unstable tree.

I am not completely happy with this version and plan to do some more
clean up in the future. But since this may take a while I though it
would be useful to have a version that works for now. This new version
includes support for passive domains. The original patch posted by
Xiaowei was for oprofile 0.8.2 and had some problems with hardcoded
kernel address ranges. This is now fixed in this latest version.

I have done a few tests and it seems to be working fine, but there might
be some corner cases that may need fixing. I would appreciate any
feedback from users to help clean up any issues that may be remaining.

On a related note, there were reports that XenOprofile was not working
properly with  fully virtualized guests. I believe Tom Woller provided a
patch that fixed the problem for SVM AMD cpus but I think the problem is
still there for Intel cpus. I would appreciate if someone familiar with
Xen VTX support could take a look at Tom patches and provided a similar
fix for Intel VT.

Thanks

Renato