[Xen-devel] Re: memsize for HVM save/restore

On Mon, Mar 26, 2007 at 07:31:33PM +0100, Keir Fraser wrote:
> On 26/3/07 04:13, "Zhai, Edwin" <edwin.zhai@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > I don't think so.
> > Besides locating PFNs, memsize is also used in QEMU for other purpose, such
> > as
> > bitmap allocation, dev init and map_foreign*. So memsize is a must for qemu
> > init.
> >
> > See following code in xc_hvm_build:
> > if ( v_end > HVM_BELOW_4G_RAM_END )
> >     shared_page_nr = (HVM_BELOW_4G_RAM_END >> PAGE_SHIFT) - 1;
> > else
> >     shared_page_nr = (v_end >> PAGE_SHIFT) - 1;
> >
> > So it's impossible to get memsize by saved PFNs when restore a big memory
> > guest.
>
> It can use the new XENMEM_maximum_gpfn hypercall for bitmap allocation. I'm

2 concerns:
1. xc_hvm_build use SCRATCH_PFN(0xFFFFF) to map shared_info, which would
overwrite the true max_gpfn. So shall we add check in set_p2m_entry for this?

2. If qemu get the memsize from XENMEM_maximum_gpfn when restore, it's better
do the same thing when create, i.e. remove the '-m' qemu command line.

--
best rgds,
edwin