Re: [Xen-devel] Xen inside Xen with VMX?

> thanks to everyone who replied! What I was thinking of was something along
> the lines of Daniel's suggestion below, i.e. if the VMX architecture makes
> it possible to setup enough proper traps etc. so that you can actually
> "cheaply" emulate all these VMX registers/features and thus have multiple,
> nested HVM's.

I wasn't able to find if it's possible to trap VMX instructions that are
executed in noon-root mode but it's my assumption that Intel did the sensible
thing and made that work :-)  They definitely cause a trap in AMD's SVM.

> I don't know if it's useful but it is at least interesting to
> think about how it would work and how big/small a performance cost you
> could get away with if you had, say, 10 nested HVM's with Linux or
> something running in the innermost ;) I guess the emulation cost will be
> bigger for the "non-primary" HVM's (the primary being the one running
> closest to the hardware). But I guess that even stuff like VT-d directed
> I/O could be recursively emulated and yet still have "true" direct I/O for
> the innermost operating system.

Yeah, that sounds plausible.  Similarly, with nested pagetables / hardware
assisted paging, you'd save overhead relative to nesting n shadow pagetables.

It'd be interesting whether by emulating these virtualisation-friendly
features it might be possible to do nested full virtualisation without
completely destroying performance...  I guess it'd entail a fair bit of scary
coding to make it work but it would be really cool.

It could certainly be useful for testing stuff if nothing else.  I already do
development and testing by running PV Linux on Xen, all wrapped up in a Xen
HVM domain on my test box.  It works quite well and the performance is usable
for testing / debugging.

I think Qemu can now emulate VMX / SVM instructions when it's run as an
emulator (not as a virtualiser), so anyone who really needs virtual machines
with HVM support right now can get it that way - if they don't mind taking a
massive performance hit.

Cheers,
Mark