Re: [Xen-devel] mmx sse emulation

  • To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: "Ashish Bijlani" <ashish.bijlani@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2008 05:16:58 -0500
  • Delivery-date: Thu, 06 Nov 2008 02:17:22 -0800

in an attempt to emulate mmx/sse instructions from within xen, i tried
setting EM and NE bit in CR0 to have mmx/sse instructions fault into
xen. however, the hvm guest doesn't boot after that. also, i don't get
any "device_not_available_fault" any ideas what could be wrong? am i
missing something?

this is what i've done :-

int hvm_set_cr0(unsigned long value) {
value &= ~HVM_CR0_GUEST_RESERVED_BITS;

value |= (X86_CR0_EM | X86_CR0_NE); // EMULATE FPU

/* ET is reserved and should be always be 1. */
    value |= X86_CR0_ET;
}

I run system with dom0 4 vcpus on 0-2 cpu cores and hvm 1 vcpu on the
3rd cpu core

-Ashish