RE: [Xen-devel] Question about time measure in Guest Windows

Thanks for your suggest!

But I have a further question about this issue: In my tests, I need to use some other instructions like RDTSC that may cause VMExit conditionally, one example is WBINVD which is another bit in VM-execution control field. From your advice, can I say that I can ignore all the bits of VM-execution control field in Xen? Otherwise, How to query VM-Execution control field in a programmable way?

Thanks!
Nanxuan

> Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2008 07:10:36 -0800
> From: dan.magenheimer@xxxxxxxxxx
> To: nanxuan_xu@xxxxxxx
> Subject: RE: [Xen-devel] Question about time measure in Guest Windows
>
> "RDTSC exiting VM execution control field" is available so that
> a hypervisor can trap ALL guest uses of the RDTSC instruction.
> Xen does not currently use this, so you can use RDTSC in a Xen
> Windows guest without worrying about it.
>
> HOWEVER, be aware that on many SMP machines, the TSC is not
> synchronized between processors and your guest may move between
> processors without its knowledge. So two consecutive reads
> of TSC by a guest may appear as if TSC is going backwards or
> jumps forward by many many ticks.

更多热辣资讯尽在新版MSN首页! 立刻访问!