Re: [Xen-devel] Xen with dom0 pvops on ultra-recent "git tip" kernel on x86_64

  • To: Pasi Kärkkäinen <pasik@xxxxxx>, "Xen-Devel (E-mail)" <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Andrew Lyon <andrew.lyon@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2009 18:32:48 +0000
  • Cc:
  • Delivery-date: Wed, 21 Jan 2009 10:34:08 -0800

On Tue, Jan 20, 2009 at 9:27 PM, Pasi Kärkkäinen <pasik@xxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 20, 2009 at 12:08:44PM -0800, Jeremy Fitzhardinge wrote:
>>
>> >Note that I noticed a completely unrelated issue:  After some minutes it
>> >can happen that the AHCI goes dead on me.  Hard disk accesses hang and
>> >in the log there are several tries to revive the controller (resets and
>> >errors) until the kernel at some point decides to panic.
>> >

>> Yes, that's an open mystery.  For me AHCI fails immediately (fails to
>> probe drives).  Others have varying degrees of success.  Several minutes
>> uptime is very good.
>>

> I can see the same problem with ata_piix driver too.. it fails to probe
> drives.
>
> If you have any tips about how to debug that feel free to post them to the
> other thread about ata_piix problems.. I'm happy to (try to) help.
>
> -- Pasi

I tried pv_ops dom0 a while ago and had the same problems with ahci
and ata_piix, see thread
http://www.nabble.com/pv_ops-dom0-USB-fixed-td20943120.html , I
updated my tree today and tried again on the same system and it fails
in the same way.

I tried using a usb stick for the root filesystem but that too is
broken, I think interrupts are not getting through at all but I don't
know of a way to check that without a working userspace.

Is there anything more I can do to assist in finding the cause of this
problem? I can do more testing this week, and even give remote access
to the test system with serial console if a developer would like to
have a look.

Andy