Re: [Xen-devel] page ref/type count overflows

Jan Beulich wrote:
Below is what I currently have it at. I'm afraid it won't get much simpler,
but I think it reasonably expresses the individual overlays. There are three
more transformations I plan to make:
- _domain -> unsigned int
- next_shadow -> __mfn_t
- split u into two unions (one having type_info, type/pinned/count, and
cpumask, the other having _domain, back, and order).

That last step is to avoid having to re-add __attribute__ ((__packed__)),
so that other (future) changes to the structure won't risk mis-aligning any
fields again.

Does this look acceptable?

Personally, while I don't have (and I can't have) anything against this, I think that this kind of unified struct would make the shadow code more error-prone, by making shadow pages and guest pages being casted by the same type. Of course, every bug is fixable, and good programmers shouldn't do this kind of errors. But I think that being able to differentiate between shadow's page_info and normal page_info by something more than just a variable name would help a lot the clarity of this already complex code.

Thanks,
Gianluca