[Xen-users] Re: Merge Xen (the hypervisor) into Linux

On Wed, Jun 03, 2009 at 11:09:39AM +0200, Gerd Hoffmann wrote:
> On 06/03/09 10:47, Alan Cox wrote:
>>> Linux is not the only player here.  NetBSD can run as dom0 guest.
>>> Solaris can run as dom0 guest too.  Thus making the dom0/xen interface
>>> private to linux and xen isn't going to fly.
>>
>> It does not however preclude fixing the dom0 interface.
>
> It wasn't my intention to imply that.  The interface can be extended
> when needed.  PAT support will probably be such a case.  Changing it in
> incompatible ways isn't going to work though.

But that means that if there is some fundamentally broken piece of
dom0 design, that the Linux kernel will be stuck with it ***forever***
and it will contaminate code paths and make the code harder to
maintain ***forever*** if we consent to the Xen merge?  Is that really
what you are saying?   Be careful how you answer that....

                                          - Ted