Re: [Xen-devel] Re: VT-D On An Asus P5E-VM DO Motherboard Not Working, Xen 3.4.1

  • To: Christian Tramnitz <chris.ace@xxxxxxx>
  • From: Michael MacLeod <mikemacleod@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2009 21:35:56 -0400
  • Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Delivery-date: Mon, 28 Sep 2009 18:36:27 -0700

On Mon, Sep 28, 2009 at 9:47 AM, Christian Tramnitz <chris.ace@xxxxxxx> wrote:
Christian Tramnitz wrote:
I already suggested that to Michael, but it didn't help.
I'll just stop by the lab later today and write down my BIOS settings for reference. I'm pretty sure I had USB and SATA enabled, Firewire disabled but we'll see.

Best regards,
  Christian

Out of curiosity I did it right away, here my details:

Asus P5E-VM DO (product number: 90-MBB7E0-G0EAY00Z)
BIOS: 0702 (dated 03/31/08)
CPU: Intel Core2Duo 6850
RAM: 8GB (reported as 8118MB)
only extension card: an old PCI (not PCIe!) Radeon 7000/VE that is one of my test cases for gfx passthrough.

BIOS settings
(this is probably with a lot of unrelated settings, but I wanted to make sure the interesting stuff is really there, so I wrote down everything)

MAIN:
Legacy Disk A: disabled
SATA:
- Configure SATA as: AHCI
- HD Write Protect: disabled
- SATA Detect Timeout: 0
AHCI:
- AHCI CD/DVD Boot Timeout: 0
- Ch1 + Ch2: HDD, all other unconnected

ADVANCED:
Jumper Free Settings:
- Ai Overclocking: standard
- all others (CPU Ratio, DRAM Frequency, DRAM Timimg, CPU Spread, PCIE Spread): auto
USB:
- USB Functions: enabled
- USB 2.0 Controller: enabled
- USB 2.0 Controller Mode: hispeed
- BIOS EHCI Handoff: enabled
- Port 64/60 Emulation: disabled
- Legacy USB: auto (Tested with USB Keyboard connected and nothing connected)
TPM: no
TXT: disabled
VT-d: enabled
CPU:
- Ratio Setting: auto
- C1E Support: enabled
- Max CPUID Limit: disabled
- all others (Vanderpool, CPU TM, Execute bit, Speedstep): enaled
Chipset:
- Northbridge
-- Memory Remap: enabled
-- Initiate Graphic: IGD
-- Internal Mode Select: enabled, 8MB
-- PEG Port Control: auto
-- PEG Force x1: disabled
-- VID Function: DVMT Mode, 256MB
- ME
-- all (ASF, ME Device, ME Bios Extension): disabled
Onboard Devices:
- HD Audio: disabled
- LAN: enabled
- LAN Boot ROM: disabled
- FireWire: disabled
- JMicron PATA: disabled
- Serial1: 3F8/IRQ4
- Parallel: disabled
PCIPNP: Plug&Play OS: yes

POWER:
Suspend: auto
Report on S3: disabled
ACPI 2.0: enabled
ACPI APIC: enabled

Hope that helps.
If you have some settings different dont ask me why I made a choice, it was either default or accidental or I intended to disable the specific functionality... but it works ;-)

Best regards,
 Christian

We have a bit of joy now folks. It appears to have been the Initiate Graphics Adapter setting in the BIOS. It was set to use my PCIe graphics card as the first option (which is the default value). I set it to use integrated graphics (Intel 82Q35 Express) and now VT-d is enabled at boot (even without Dexuan's patch). It's still a BIOS bug, as I believe I should be able to use a PCIe graphics card and have VT-d work correctly at the same time.

Unfortunately, 2.6.18.8-xen does not appear to have support for the Intel graphics card that is the integrated graphics chip, so I lose my X display. Oh, and when I try and actually launch a domU, I get this: Error: pci: PCI Backend and pci-stub don't own device 0000:03:00.0. I haven't had time to play with any of this yet though, so hopefully I can surmount these obstacles as well.

Thanks everyone,
Mike.