[Xen-devel] Re: VT-D On An Asus P5E-VM DO Motherboard Not Working, Xen 3.4.1

  • To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Christian Tramnitz <chris.ace@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2009 13:12:40 +0200
  • Delivery-date: Wed, 30 Sep 2009 04:13:49 -0700

Michael MacLeod wrote:
We have a bit of joy now folks. It appears to have been the Initiate Graphics Adapter setting in the BIOS. It was set to use my PCIe graphics card as the first option (which is the default value). I set it to use integrated graphics (Intel 82Q35 Express) and now VT-d is enabled at boot (even without Dexuan's patch). It's still a BIOS bug, as I believe I should be able to use a PCIe graphics card and have VT-d work correctly at the same time.

Unfortunately, 2.6.18.8-xen does not appear to have support for the Intel graphics card that is the integrated graphics chip, so I lose my X display. Oh, and when I try and actually launch a domU, I get this: Error: pci: PCI Backend and pci-stub don't own device 0000:03:00.0. I haven't had time to play with any of this yet though, so hopefully I can surmount these obstacles as well.

Thanks everyone,
Mike.

I could reproduce the error when completely disabling the IGD, but not by changing the init order. I.e. I could successfully but with my Radeon as primary VGA device (with the IGD enabled but as secondary and unused device) and VT-d was still enabled.

This could be different when using PCIe because due to the limit of PCIe lanes the IGD might be disabled completely when using a PCIe video card... not sure about this though, so you may give it a try with IGD enabled but PEG/IGD init order.

Best regards,
   Christian