Re: [Pkg-xen-devel] [Xen-devel] Re: HVM support to be removed from Debian Squeeze: call for volunteers

On Tue, 15 Dec 2009, Bastian Blank wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 15, 2009 at 08:33:12PM +0100, Samuel Thibault wrote:
> > Bastian Blank, le Tue 15 Dec 2009 20:04:44 +0100, a Ãcrit :
> > > Why?
> > Because it permits to load /hurd/ext2fs and /lib/ld.so directly from the
> > guest itself without having to patch pygrub yet more.
>
> I'm not sure if pv-grub support multiboot at all. Okay, I've never tried
> it but relied on the information from other people.

pv-grub has multiboot-like module support on unstable now, thanks to
Samuel's work.

> > > Also qemu-stubdom needs this fs-backend, which runs as root on the dom0,
> > > just to read the keymaps (they are combined less than 1MiB, so building
> > > them into the binary should be no problem).
> > It also needs it for files non backed by a blktap, e.g. cdroms iirc.
>
> No, this is done with the normal block backend.

Just to clarify: qemu stubdoms don't need fs-backend to boot anymore,
and certainly not for the keymaps.
On xen-unstable (and if my memory serves me right on 3.4 too) fs-backend
is only needed for suspend\resume and migration to write the qemu state
file in the dom0 filesystem.