Re: [Xen-devel] Re: XEN boot hangs at ACPI: PCI Root Bridge [PCI0] (0000:00)

> On Thu, Nov 11, 2010 at 09:16:35AM -0800, Neobiker wrote:
>>
>> Hi Konrad,
>>
>> many folks need to use the Xenlinux Kernel due to missing features in pvops
>> kernel...
>> For me (neobiker), it's at a minimum pvusb for my VDR System which uses an
>> usb device for DVB-S :-)

> You could also do PCI passthrough of your USB card to the domain..

I'm doing that, and it works, but there are a few pitfalls:
    - With onboard controllers it can sometimes be hard to tell which usb port
ends up connected to which usb controller. Some motherboards seem to connect
them up rather randomly,so you never know which one to passthrough, but it can
differ per motherboard.
    - You don't have that problem when you passthrough a dedicated pci / pci-e
controller card per domain.
    - With xhci (usb3) controllers you will most probably encounter problems,
it hasn't matured enough yet (i'm back to usb2 again after trying for quite
some time.)
    - Found some real cool usb2 controllers with a moschip 9990 chip, these
pci-e cards have 4 usb ports, but the bonus is, it has 4 seperate usb
controllers.
      That means every port has the full 480Mbps bandwidth, instead of having
it shared for all port.Without that you can have only one video device per
controller card, because that already saturates more than half the bandwidth
most of the time.
    - All usb2 controllers i have had seems to work fine when passed through
even without a hardware iommu.

So apart from these pitfalls it now seems to work like a charm !
Another possibility could be usbip which is in the staging tree of the linux
kernel.

--

Sander

--