[Xen-devel] megasas stops I/O when running kernel as dom0 under xen4.1/4.2

Hello xen-devel,

as one of the people using Dell Servers i am aware that the LSI megaraid drivers are quite old in the current 2.6.32 pvops tree, but it seems that, once again, i have run into problems that are more rare than the usual "cant find disk" issues. (Of which i had none, ever)

The situation:
--------------
I have 2 dom0 kernels, 2.6.32.44 and 3.0.1 that work fine when booted bare-metal. I can run stress -m 40 -d 4 -i 1 for hours on end without any error occuring.
The 2.6.32.44 kernels use version 00.00.05.30 megasas modules.

When i boot that kernel on my R610 servers under xen (4.1 and 4.2) the kernels work fine too. I create 10 virtual machines, each running 4 "stress -m 40" and can do disk i/o on my local storage as much as i want to.

But on my Dell R710 system things dont look so good.
Booted bare-metal, both kernels work fine.
When i boot them as dom0 under xen, everything seems to be okay at first.
Then i create my 10 virtual machines that put some load on the memory.
And as soon as i do i/o to the local disk, even a "ls /usr/src/" can suffice, i/o freezes, the system stops to respond to anything that requires disk acccess.
After a while the kernel will start spewing out error messages:

#### lots of these
sd 0:2:0:0: [sda] megasas: RESET -83318 cmd=2a retries=0
megaraid_sas: HBA reset handler invoked without an internal reset condition.
megasas: [ 0]waiting for 16 commands to complete
megaraid_sas: no more pending commands remain after reset handling.
megasas: reset successful
###

### then some of these
sd 0:2:0:0: Device offlined - not ready after error recovery
###

### goes on to
sd 0:2:0:0: [sda] Unhandled error code
sd 0:2:0:0: [sda] Result: hostbyte=DID_OK driverbyte=DRIVER_TIMEOUT
sd 0:2:0:0: [sda] CDB: Write(10): 2a 00 08 45 6f 00 00 01 88 00
end_request: I/O error, dev sda, sector 138768128
Buffer I/O error on device sda2, logical block 5138912
lost page write due to I/O error on sda2
Buffer I/O error on device sda2, logical block 5138913
###

### and finally these, as often as one tries to access the disk
sd 0:2:0:0: rejecting I/O to offline device
sd 0:2:0:0: rejecting I/O to offline device
sd 0:2:0:0: rejecting I/O to offline device

If a kernel works fine on one set of servers (Dell R610 with LSI Logic / Symbios Logic LSI MegaSAS 9260 (rev 05) raid controllers) and crashes on another server (Dell R710 with a LSI Logic / Symbios Logic MegaRAID SAS 1078 (rev 04) raid controller), it would seem logical to assume, that the kernel does not support the hardware properly.
But when run bare-metal, no errors occur.

I for one ran out of things to try, the R710 worked fine before i upgraded its firmware to the most current versions and went from xen4.0.1 to xen4.1/4.2.

So i put it to you, fine sirs of xen-devel:
is it:
A.) a hardware problem, because the software works on different hardware
or
B.) a xen problem, because the hardware runs fine in a non-virtualized scenario with the same kernel

Or is it something else entirely?

Help, input, questions and suggestions are, as always, greatly appreciated.

With best regards

--
Andreas Olsowski
Leuphana Universität Lüneburg