Re: [Xen-devel] Help with the migration to XEN-4.1 please

On 14 September 2011 13:57, Ian Campbell <Ian.Campbell@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> xenstored and xenconsoled are provided by the xencommons script, which
> you state below you don't have.
I don't know why. I think this is a bug or an ebuild problem, because
it is actually
strange not having that initscript.
These are the related files which are installed:

/etc/conf.d/xenconsoled
/etc/conf.d/xendomains
/etc/conf.d/xenstored

/etc/default/xencommons
/etc/default/xendomains

/etc/init.d/xenconsoled
/etc/init.d/xendomains
/etc/init.d/xenstored

Could I insert the xencommons initscript by hand? Do you think it
could be something
safe to do?

> You should have /etc/init.d/xencommons or Gentoo must provide you with
> some equivalent (I don't know enough about Gentoo to know)
I don't think there is something equivalent; maybe it's the case to
open a bug report
on bugs.gentoo.org.

> You need to make sure you have the relevant backend drivers available
> (especially netback and blkback). It's up to you if you want to make
> them =y or if you want to use =m and arrange for them to be loaded on
> boot using whatever mechanism Gentoo provides for this.
I have both as y, so no problem for that.

> I think it would be useful if you posted your actual kernel
> configuration.
Sure. Here we go: http://pastebin.com/HC9Lsfjw
Maybe it is not really optimized but I tried to do it as much as possible for
my ability.

On 14 September 2011 13:57, Ian Campbell <Ian.Campbell@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> What is the content of your vm_config_file.cfg?
For instance, this is the config file I use to start the Gentoo VM
(which was working
very well with the XM toolstack:

kernel = "/mnt/data/xen/kernel/vmlinuz-xen-3.0.4-domU"
memory = "512"
name = "gentoo-10.0-x86_64"
vif = ['bridge=xenbr0']
dhcp = "dhcp"
disk = ['file:/mnt/data/xen/vmstore/gentoo-10.0/gentoo-10.0.x86-64.img,xvda1,w',
'file:/mnt/data/xen/vmstore/gentoo-10.0/swap.img,xvda2,w']
root = "/dev/xvda1 ro"
vcpus = 2
extra   = 'console=hvc0 xencons=tty'
ip = "off"

> In particular I am thinking that if you have "file:" or "tap:" style
> disks you will need qemu-xen installed and if this was missing you might
> get errors like the above.
I have
/usr/bin/qemu-img-xen
/usr/bin/qemu-nbd-xen
/usr/lib64/xen/bin/qemu-dm
/usr/share/xen/qemu

but not qemu-xen (I don't know what package to install for that)
and there is no package named qemu-xen in portage.
Maybe that qemu-xen is called qemu-dm on Gentoo.

--
Flavio