Re: [Xen-devel] Paging/sharing in 4.2 (Was: Re: 4.2 TODO update)

  • To: "Olaf Hering" <olaf@xxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "Andres Lagar-Cavilla" <andres@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2012 08:05:11 -0700
  • Cc: "Tim \(Xen.org\)" <tim@xxxxxxx>, Ian Campbell <ian.campbell@xxxxxxxxxx>, "xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Delivery-date: Mon, 12 Mar 2012 15:05:36 +0000

> On Mon, Mar 12, Ian Campbell wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 2012-03-12 at 12:11 +0000, Ian Campbell wrote:
>> > [...]
>> > tools, blockers:
>> > [...]
>> >       * Correct paging/sharing tools buffer mlocking (Tim, Andres,
>> DONE)
>> > [...]
>> > hypervisor, nice to have:
>> >       * solid implementation of sharing/paging/mem-events (using work
>> >         queues) (Tim Deegan, Olaf Herring et al -- is this happening?
>> is
>> >         it DONE even?)
>
> The last patch to use a waitqueue in __get_gfn_type_access() from Tim
> works.  However, there are a few users who call __get_gfn_type_access
> with the domain_lock held. This part needs to be addressed in some way.

So, Tim posted a 6-patch series
http://lists.xen.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2012-02/msg02133.html

The first four are fixes that should go in. I acked them pending some
nits. Tim, I can re-package them and submit them myself if that would save
you some time.

But, the core patch in that series, #5, breaks pv-on-hvm windows 7. So I'm
afraid it's a solid nack from my end for the time being. In fact, it would
break not just windows but any other os, should they start invoking XENMEM
hypercalls (and who knows what else is still lurking!) more liberally.

Apart from that I have 4 hypervisor patches that deal with some
correctness corner cases, so I'll float them out there in short order.

There is work going on with AMD to get all these features working on their
processors. Let's hope for a breakthrough, but if it doesn't happen, let's
keep going forward.

I cannot really think of anything else on the hypervisor side.
Andres