Re: [Xen-devel] Early ACPI events prevent subsequent ACPI functionality on xen 4.3 + HVM domU

Konrad,

--On 21 May 2013 12:45:31 -0400 Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk <konrad.wilk@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

For the emulated path I am not entirely sure how the ACPI path works
when a guest hasn't initialized its ACPI machinery. I would think the
ACPI SCI would be triggered, but it might not be since the ACPI AML
has no way of running (as the OS hasn't even started reading it). In
which case the emulated path ought to use a fallback, whatever that is.
But I am not sure if there is a fallback except "yanking the power" -
which I think is what normal machines do if you hold the power off button
for more than 3 seconds.

The problem isn't that a shutdown doesn't work if there are no drivers
for it. The problem is that if you issue a shutdown when there are
no drivers, then later issue a shutdown when there are drivers, it
still doesn't work.

Somewhat to my surprise we are using the PV/PVHVM route not the ACPI
route (libxl_domain_shutdown / xl shutdown) so the subject line would
appear to be inaccurate.

The second problem is that ACPI shutdown appears not to work reliably
either (whenever issued).

--
Alex Bligh