Re: [Xen-devel] Early ACPI events prevent subsequent ACPI functionality on xen 4.3 + HVM domU

On Tue, 2013-05-21 at 17:51 +0100, Dave Scott wrote:
> For a long time our test cases have had a 'sleep 10' after a 'xe
> vm-start' and before a 'xe vm-shutdown'. IIRC when I last looked into
> this (years ago) it was claimed that the PV kernel was trying to
> signal init to change runlevel, but it was too soon and the
> event/signal/whatever  was dropped. Recently to speed up the tests
> we've started switching to a custom miniOS kernel (based on Mirage)
> which doesn't have this problem. However it would be great to finally
> fix this race...

Oh yes, this is true -- there is an issue with the guest internal (so ~=
native) shutdown stuff not working if you signal it too early. i.e. you
are confusing /sbin/init and not anything Xen specific.

I expect that the way to determine this would be to check if the
xenstore key was "" or "something". If it is blank then the guest has
acknowledged the request and the fault is /sbin/init otherwise it is a
Xen specific issue, probably internal to the kernel though IMHO.

Ian.