Re: [Xen-devel] Test Day instructions: specific list of files to be removed?

  • To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Ian Murray <murrayie@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Dietmar Hahn <dietmar.hahn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2013 14:40:35 +0200
  • Cc: Ian Campbell <Ian.Campbell@xxxxxxxxxx>, Russ Pavlicek <russell.pavlicek@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Delivery-date: Mon, 17 Jun 2013 12:41:21 +0000
  • Domainkey-signature: s=s1536a; d=ts.fujitsu.com; c=nofws; q=dns; h=X-SBRSScore:X-IronPort-AV:Received:X-IronPort-AV: Received:Received:From:To:Cc:Subject:Date:Message-ID: User-Agent:In-Reply-To:References:MIME-Version: Content-Transfer-Encoding:Content-Type; b=XMiUflkJ5O/xuwxsnXjyu/QBZ1VP4A2BQ6aRr92Be+k25N12yNEBzwdM bLlAvNodcpqMDnKVoD5UkD49xxNyTYLOnagaXkesvBrg+ySZGxhM9vLUH e3iO3o4K2fF8cptkRY7A1CrRhwTHWXaKtEZhTfNW1soqzoK+VnDlWhMro 7K6qsWe+yrezO/l+DQcMSaXD6wSyupfHTm5pIf9qPS+aRZ1lDcudVEzdV dJ8b4WY1+jYN18sufud8u/uta28IN;

Am Montag 17 Juni 2013, 11:36:51 schrieb Ian Murray:

> >>  I know this is not a big deal to folks who are used to doing this, but
> >>  for someone new to the test day process, this could be helpful.
> >
> > The goal is really just to avoid issues with running the old toolstack
> > (or linking the new libraries) when you think you are running the new.
> > Most of the time the new ones would overwrite to old so it's not all
> > that critical to get it right, as long as we on #xentest keep in mind
> > the possibility that an obscure bug (e.g. an unexplainable xl segfault)
> > might be down to picking up old versions of things.
>

> I just tried 4.3RC4 over the top of a working 4.22 yesterday and I had all
> sorts of problems of "permission denied" and "internal error" when doing
> basic stuff like xl destroy and xl list. A little googling told me that this
> was likely down to mixed versions and sure enough I ended up with at least
> two xl's and various other stuff duplicated. The only time I have used an
> option on configure is for lib/lib64 and never anything on this system, AFAIR.
>
> Unfortunately, I had to get it back in a working state as this machine is
> unattented Mon-Fri so pretty much took it back to 4.22 with without much
> investigation. Obviously by then I had some cleaning up still to do and AFAIR
> it looks like the path differences were along the lines of /usr/ vs
> /usr/local/  . As I said before I have never done anything specifically in
> the past around this so presumably the defaults have changed unless I am
> doing something wrong or missing something.

I had the same problem until I found the hint in the wiki to remove all stuff
before installing from source.

It would be good if the build environment would support the flag
-Wl,-rpath=DIR for the linker. So everybody could have installed multiple xen
versions in different directories beside the original version from the
distribution.
For the native xen libraries and tools this could be done via an addition
in $(XEN)/config/Tools.mk.in:
APPEND_LDFLAGS      := -Wl,-rpath=$(prefix)/lib64
More problematic seem to be additional tools like qemu as these currently
dont support this flag.
And I don't know how command pathes are handled via fork/exec calls and in
scripts.

Dietmar.

--
Company details: http://ts.fujitsu.com/imprint.html