Re: [Xen-devel] Windows 8 VGA Passthrough

On 10/27/2013 02:14 PM, John Wargo wrote:
On 10/27/2013 04:30 AM, Gordan Bobic wrote:
On 10/26/2013 09:58 PM, John Wargo wrote:
Geniuses,

I've been trying to get VGA pass-through working on Windows 8, however
I've been running into a few issues.
Currently I can get Windows 8 running flawlessly without VGA
pass-through, however I'm planning on using it for gaming, so this wont
work.

When I start windows 8, I am able to get past the install portion of the
DVD, however it hangs on "Getting devices ready.. (n%)".

Hardware Information :
AMD Fx6300
ASUS M5a99x evo r2.0
16GB RAM
6670 Radeon HD - Dom0
7850 Radeon HD - Win8

I have recently (recently as in over the past 48 hours) re-tried to
get ATI VGA passthrough working, and the results are... interesting.

HD4850 dom0 + HD7450 domU worked fine - or as fine as ATI passthrough
ever seems to work (slowdown + white lines when dragging windows after
a domU reboot). I am using XP64 domU so I can't eject the GPU (it says
it is being used). But shutting down the domU, doing echo 1 > reset
for the GPU from dom0 (I don't know how this is implemented and
whether it does anything) and then starting it up again sometimes
recovers it. GPU-Z runs and reports the GPU correctly.

HD4850 dom0 + HD7970 domU results in the entire host locking up as
soon as the driver is loaded in domU. My solution is to swap the dom0
GPU for an 8800GT, and the problem now doesn't occur. If I had to
guess, BIOS on the HD7970 does something bizzare, finds the HD4850 on
the bus, tries to do something to it, and ends up crashing the host.
This could also be exacerbated by the fact that I have to run with
relaxed checking and no PCI ACS due to NF200 bridges on my
motherboard. Even so, however, GPU-Z crashes the domU and it's GPU
_hard_ (but not the host, thankfully). It crashes it so hard, that the
only cure is to reboot the host. Reseting the GPU via /sys/ doesn't
seem to do anything to help.

Are you using gfx_passthru=1 in your config? The way most people have
this kind of thing working is with gfx_passthru=0, i.e. secondary
passthru. Don't assign the PCI device in the config when installing.
Once the domU install is complete, shut it down, and add the GPU you
want to pass through. Then fire up domU in VNC, install the driver,
and with a bit of luck it will come up with output on the external
monitor.

Also make sure that radeon or radeonfb kernel drivers DO NOT load
before the device is assigned to xen-pciback. The exact way to ensure
this will depend on what distro and dom0 kernel you are using.

Gordan

After messing with a few of the options, and a bit of trickery, It
appears that I've got it passed-through, however when viewing it in the
device manager I get Error Code 43 : Not enough system resources. I'm
currently working on installing the latest stable drivers from AMD on
hopes that it will fix it, however I don't see it making a ton of
difference.

Is there some sort of patch I need to apply, or something I'm missing?

Are you using traditional or upstream qemu?

Gordan