Re: [Xen-devel] Code 12 with VGA passthrough, even with qemu-traditional

On 21 August 2014 23:01:46 BST, Sander Eikelenboom <linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>Thursday, August 21, 2014, 11:14:30 AM, you wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> Despite a lot of fiddling I am still unable to pass through either an
>Nvidia Quadro 6000 (actually a soft modded GTX480) or a Radeon HD6950
...snippy...
>Have you tried with a linux guest, although it's perhaps not you end
>goal ..
>if that works you can at least say you should have a fair change of
>getting
>things to work (and i think more verbose and easy to debug then windows
>and the
>windows radeon drivers).
>
>I have a system (amd based) with radeon HD6950 that is able to be
>passed through
>to a linux HVM guest (although you only get output after the kernel
>loads the
>radeon KMS/DRM driver since it's secondary passthrough). This is _not_
>the
>primary graphics card from the host (got another radeon for dom0).
>
>There are still issues  with rebooting the vm etc.
>I'm using xen-unstable, linux kernel 3.16 and qemu-xen (not
>traditional).
I do have a debian VM - it booted and assigned an IRQ etc when I hot attached
the device but black screened the primary stdvga VNC display when I tried to
poke X onto the Quadro. I've not had chance to get SSH/serial console going yet
so I can see the logs. It worked fine under KVM with a 6950 and didn't need the
NoSnoop patch.

Certainly I'm very willing to diagnose the problem in a Linux VM. Now I'm
running a fully supported configuration I'm hopeful of getting this working.

Thanks for confirming that -traditional is not required for passthrough.
That'll remove the need for me to much around with memory patches

PK