[Xen-devel] Location of next Xen Project Developer Summit / User Summit (please respond by end of September)

Hi all,

I am CC’ing all the subprojects (and project leads of sub projects who are not
yet fully operational in terms of infrastructure) to get feedback on next years
events. I know we all agreed that we would alternate between Europe and the US,
but this may be challenging next year, because there may not be enough space.
So I wanted to get your feed and will need to make a decision before the next
Advisory Board meeting in October. Ideally well before.

Let me lay out what I know.
* LinuxCon US will be in Seattle Aug 17-19
* Linux Plumbers will be in Seattle Aug 19, with mini summits Aug 20 & 21st
* There will also be a new Container Con Aug 20 & 21st
* KVM Forum is thinking but have not decided to be in Seattle also sometimes
between Aug 19 - 21st
* There is just enough space for a Xen Project Summit from Aug 19 - 21st
* LinuxCon EU is most likely in Brussels end of September, but it is likely
that there is not enough space

I also want to move back to a model where we don’t have a separate user and
developer summit. It is to expensive and too hard to organise. What we would do
is have these semi-separate (e.g. User Summit before the Dev Summit) and we
allow users to stay on and attend the Dev Summit using some discounted tickets
if they want. The main rationale is to save cost and get maximum impact from
sponsorships to subsidise the event(s).

But we need to make a decision pretty soon. My thinking was the following:
* Developer Summit on 20 & 21st
* Developer Meeting, Board Meetings, Hackspace and Working Group would be held
on the 19th.
* We could also have a User Focussed Day on the 19th - the limitation is that
on the 19th we cannot get rooms holding more than 60 people
* Try to do something together with KVM Forum (E.g. a joint social event or
something - assuming they buy into it and decide for Seattle, or a joint
Hackathon)
* The problem is that this would be a very intensive week and that some people
may have to juggle schedules as they may have to attend several events.

On the other hand, there is likely not enough space to co-locate with LinuxCon
EU. And we always also have a very big presence at FOSDEM in Brussels. So
co-locating seems not quite right, as we are almost competing with ourselves in
the same location that year.

Please let me know what your preferences are. I can then get back to the
Advisory Board and get this closed. And I need to know before the end of the
month as otherwise we will run out of options.

Best Regards
Lars