Re: [Xen-devel] PML (Page Modification Logging) design for Xen

>>> On 11.02.15 at 09:28, <kai.huang@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> - PML enable/disable for particular Domain
>
> PML needs to be enabled (allocate PML buffer, initialize PML index, PML base
> address, turn PML on VMCS, etc) for all vcpus of the domain, as PML buffer
> and PML index are per-vcpu, but EPT table may be shared by vcpus. Enabling
> PML on partial vcpus of the domain won't work. Also PML will only be enabled
> for the domain when it is switched to dirty logging mode, and it will be
> disabled when domain is switched back to normal mode. As looks vcpu number
> won't be changed dynamically during guest is running (correct me if I am
> wrong here), so we don't have to consider enabling PML for new created vcpu
> when guest is in dirty logging mode.
>
> After PML is enabled for the domain, we only need to clear EPT entry's D-bit
> for guest memory in dirty logging mode. We achieve this by checking if PML is
> enabled for the domain when p2m_ram_rx changed to p2m_ram_logdirty, and
> updating EPT entry accordingly. However, for super pages, we still write
> protect them in case of PML as we still need to split super page to 4K page
> in dirty logging mode.

While it doesn't matter much for our immediate needs, the
documentation isn't really clear about the behavior when a 2M or
1G page gets its D bit set: Wouldn't it be rather useful to the
consumer to know of that fact (e.g. by setting some of the lower
bits of the PML entry to indicate so)?

> - PML buffer flush
>
> There are two places we need to flush PML buffer. The first place is PML
> buffer full VMEXIT handler (apparently), and the second place is in
> paging_log_dirty_op (either peek or clean), as vcpus are running
> asynchronously along with paging_log_dirty_op is called from userspace via
> hypercall, and it's possible there are dirty GPAs logged in vcpus' PML
> buffers but not full. Therefore we'd better to flush all vcpus' PML buffers
> before reporting dirty GPAs to userspace.
>
> We handle above two cases by flushing PML buffer at the beginning of all
> VMEXITs. This solves the first case above, and it also solves the second
> case, as prior to paging_log_dirty_op, domain_pause is called, which kicks
> vcpus (that are in guest mode) out of guest mode via sending IPI, which cause
> VMEXIT, to them.
>
> This also makes log-dirty radix tree more updated as PML buffer is flushed
> on basis of all VMEXITs but not only PML buffer full VMEXIT.

Is that really efficient? Flushing the buffer only as needed doesn't
seem to be a major problem (apart from the usual preemption issue
when dealing with guests with very many vCPU-s, but you certainly
recall that at this point HVM is still limited to 128).

Apart from these two remarks, the design looks okay to me.

Jan