Re: [Xen-devel] PML (Page Modification Logging) design for Xen

>>> On 11.02.15 at 12:52, <andrew.cooper3@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 11/02/15 08:28, Kai Huang wrote:
>> With PML, we don't have to use write protection but just clear D-bit
>> of EPT entry of guest memory to do dirty logging, with an additional
>> PML buffer full VMEXIT for 512 dirty GPAs. Theoretically, this can
>> reduce hypervisor overhead when guest is in dirty logging mode, and
>> therefore more CPU cycles can be allocated to guest, so it's expected
>> benchmarks in guest will have better performance comparing to non-PML.
>
> One issue with basic EPT A/D tracking was the scan of the EPT tables.
> Here, hardware will give us a list of affected gfns, but how is Xen
> supposed to efficiently clear the dirty bits again?  Using EPT
> misconfiguration is no better than the existing fault path.

Why not? The misconfiguration exit ought to clear the D bit for all
511 entries in the L1 table (and set it for the one entry that is
currently serving the access). All further D bit handling will then
be PML based.

>> - PML buffer flush
>>
>> There are two places we need to flush PML buffer. The first place is
>> PML buffer full VMEXIT handler (apparently), and the second place is
>> in paging_log_dirty_op (either peek or clean), as vcpus are running
>> asynchronously along with paging_log_dirty_op is called from userspace
>> via hypercall, and it's possible there are dirty GPAs logged in vcpus'
>> PML buffers but not full. Therefore we'd better to flush all vcpus'
>> PML buffers before reporting dirty GPAs to userspace.
>
> Why apparently?  It would be quite easy for a guest to dirty 512 frames
> without otherwise taking a vmexit.

I silently replaced apparently with obviously while reading...

>> We handle above two cases by flushing PML buffer at the beginning of
>> all VMEXITs. This solves the first case above, and it also solves the
>> second case, as prior to paging_log_dirty_op, domain_pause is called,
>> which kicks vcpus (that are in guest mode) out of guest mode via
>> sending IPI, which cause VMEXIT, to them.
>>
>> This also makes log-dirty radix tree more updated as PML buffer is
>> flushed on basis of all VMEXITs but not only PML buffer full VMEXIT.
>
> My gut feeling is that this is substantial overhead on a common path,
> but this largely depends on how the dirty bits can be cleared efficiently.

I agree on the overhead part, but I don't see what relation this has
to the dirty bit clearing - a PML buffer flush doesn't involve any
alterations of D bits.

Jan