[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

[Xen-devel] 2016 Xen Dev Summit Location (input needed before next Thu)

Hi all,

I was just informed that it is not going to be possible to hold the Developer 
Summit alongside LinuxCon in Berlin, unless we make some hard choices. I had 
originally had booked the space and all looked fine when it was originally 
arranged several months ago. Seems that the LinuxCon organisers tripped over a 
German holiday and had not accounted for it. I would like to get your input 
before the next board meeting in 10 days, such that I have community input for 
the meeting and I can make a swift decision at the meeting.

We have the following options
* Hold it on Monday Oct 3 - to Tue Oct 4 : the problem is that Oct 3 is a 
public holiday in Germany, which would affect German participants
* Do a 1 day event only on Oct 4 : I don't think this is practicable
* Hold the event alongside LinuxCon in Toronto in August, but then we'd have a 
Dev Summit in the US for 3 years in a row. On the plus side, it will be Linux' 
25th birthday 

Other options, such as holding the event on its own will be too expensive. 
Please let me know your opinions.

Best Regards

> From: Angela Brown <angela@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Xen Summit 2016
> Date: 5 November 2015 17:32:11 GMT
> To: Lars Kurth <lars.kurth@xxxxxxx>
> Hi Lars,
> Sorry for the delay in getting back to you as we had to get a few things 
> sorted. 
> First the bad news. It turns out that Monday, October 3, 2016 is German Unity 
> Day and we've decided it will not be a good idea to hold LinuxCon on this 
> day. So we are moving LinuxCon/ContainerCon to Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday 
> of that week and ELC-E will be Thursday & Friday as scheduled. This means 
> that we have absolutely no additional space on Thursday. In addition, the 
> space we do have in terms of larger rooms on Tuesday and Wednesday is 
> extremely limited. We went through all the space yesterday, and we don't have 
> any extra rooms that fit over 50ppl available on Tuesday & Wednesday. Thus, 
> holding Xen Summit overlapping in Berlin at the same venue isn't going to 
> work.  The only real option for larger rooms in Berlin would be on Monday 
> (but not on Tuesday, and again this is a holiday).
> We can co-locate in Toronto in August but only on the two days after 
> LinuxCon/ContainerCon - Thursday and Friday (but we can do your board 
> meetings on Wednesday). Please let me know if you want me to go ahead and put 
> together a proposal for this or if you have something else in mind.
> Thanks and sorry!
> Angela

Xen-devel mailing list



Lists.xenproject.org is hosted with RackSpace, monitoring our
servers 24x7x365 and backed by RackSpace's Fanatical Support®.