[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [Xen-devel] 2016 Xen Dev Summit Location (input needed before next Thu)

On Thu, 5 Nov 2015, Lars Kurth wrote:
> Hi all,
> I was just informed that it is not going to be possible to hold the Developer 
> Summit alongside LinuxCon in Berlin, unless we make some hard choices. I had 
> originally had booked the space and all looked fine when it was originally 
> arranged several months ago. Seems that the LinuxCon organisers tripped over 
> a German holiday and had not accounted for it. I would like to get your input 
> before the next board meeting in 10 days, such that I have community input 
> for the meeting and I can make a swift decision at the meeting.
> We have the following options
> * Hold it on Monday Oct 3 - to Tue Oct 4 : the problem is that Oct 3 is a 
> public holiday in Germany, which would affect German participants
> * Do a 1 day event only on Oct 4 : I don't think this is practicable
> * Hold the event alongside LinuxCon in Toronto in August, but then we'd have 
> a Dev Summit in the US for 3 years in a row. On the plus side, it will be 
> Linux' 25th birthday 

I really enjoyed the celebrations for Linux' 20th birthday in Vancouver,
so I vote for Toronto :-)

> Other options, such as holding the event on its own will be too expensive. 
> Please let me know your opinions.
> Best Regards
> Lars
> > From: Angela Brown <angela@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> > Subject: Xen Summit 2016
> > Date: 5 November 2015 17:32:11 GMT
> > To: Lars Kurth <lars.kurth@xxxxxxx>
> > 
> > Hi Lars,
> > 
> > Sorry for the delay in getting back to you as we had to get a few things 
> > sorted. 
> > 
> > First the bad news. It turns out that Monday, October 3, 2016 is German 
> > Unity Day and we've decided it will not be a good idea to hold LinuxCon on 
> > this day. So we are moving LinuxCon/ContainerCon to Tuesday, Wednesday, 
> > Thursday of that week and ELC-E will be Thursday & Friday as scheduled. 
> > This means that we have absolutely no additional space on Thursday. In 
> > addition, the space we do have in terms of larger rooms on Tuesday and 
> > Wednesday is extremely limited. We went through all the space yesterday, 
> > and we don't have any extra rooms that fit over 50ppl available on Tuesday 
> > & Wednesday. Thus, holding Xen Summit overlapping in Berlin at the same 
> > venue isn't going to work.  The only real option for larger rooms in Berlin 
> > would be on Monday (but not on Tuesday, and again this is a holiday).
> > 
> > We can co-locate in Toronto in August but only on the two days after 
> > LinuxCon/ContainerCon - Thursday and Friday (but we can do your board 
> > meetings on Wednesday). Please let me know if you want me to go ahead and 
> > put together a proposal for this or if you have something else in mind.
> > 
> > Thanks and sorry!
> > 
> > Angela
> _______________________________________________
> Xen-devel mailing list
> Xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> http://lists.xen.org/xen-devel

Xen-devel mailing list



Lists.xenproject.org is hosted with RackSpace, monitoring our
servers 24x7x365 and backed by RackSpace's Fanatical Support®.