Re: [Xen-devel] [RFC V2] xen: interface: introduce pvclk interface

>>> On 22.01.16 at 02:56, <van.freenix@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 21, 2016 at 05:52:12AM -0700, Jan Beulich wrote:
>>At the very least it would need to be avoided by denying the request.
>>Upon shared use, either all parties agree, or only one may use the
>>clock. And passing through a (platform) device would therefore imply
>>validating that the needed clock(s) are available to the target domain.
>>Doing this in a consistent way with all control in one component's
>>hands seems doable only if hypervisor and/or tool stack are the
>>controlling (and arbitrating) entity. In the end this is one of the
>>reasons why to me a simple PV I/O interface doesn't seem suitable
>>here.
>
> How about let userspace libxl pvclk code to denying the request?

Userspace would be fine, but
- How would this fit in your frontend/backend model, where
  userspace shouldn't be involved at all?
- Libxl may be a little too high up the stack, libxc would seem a
  more appropriate place to me (but that's subject to tools
  maintainers disagreeing with me).

Jan