Re: [Xen-devel] xenbits GitHub mirror?

On 1/26/16 11:26 AM, Doug Goldstein wrote:
> On 1/26/16 10:55 AM, Ian Campbell wrote:
>> On Sat, 2015-12-19 at 14:51 -0600, Doug Goldstein wrote:
>>> All,
>>>
>>> Now I'll start off by saying that "no" is a perfectly acceptable answer
>>> to this suggestion. Basically I remember at the Xen Developer Summit a
>>> few people mentioned it being nice if people provided a git tree where
>>> their branches were available for testing. I was just thinking it might
>>> be easier for third parties to do that if there was an official Xen
>>> Project mirror of the main repos on xenbits on GitHub and people could
>>> fork that repo and make their branch available. Just a thought.
>>
>> If forking the repo significantly easier than just creating an empty one of
>> your own and pushing to it? Is the parent repo "important" in some way in
>> the GH world? (Given that, as George says, we are unlikely to accept
>> contributions via GH pull requests etc).
>>
>> Ian.
>>

> Its not easier or different. I just remembered from the Xen Developer
> Summit that a few people complained that a lot of the patch series
> posted to the ML really should be available as a repo because they were
> quite large and hard to review. I see this comment come up over and over
> on the ML myself as well so I was just trying to lower the barriers to
> people doing that. I know the reason people don't isn't technical so
> this isn't really a technical solution but I figured this is more a
> social thing. GitHub has the ability to mark a repo as a mirror and not
> allow pull requests or issues, which is what I would recommend. I'm just
> looking at improving the community aspect. I could create an
> organization called "xen-mirror" and get it setup and turn it over to
> the Xen Project.
>
> Again, I'm fine with an answer of "no" here. Just trying to pitch out
> ideas to solve what some see as an irritation.

Another thing to toss out there and again people can say "no". But I
slapped together a simple "build" test using Travis CI that's publicly
visible. Currently I can't build the tools because of some issues *.

I know we have osstest but I figured this could be a simple build test
of each commit to each branch. Interestingly just doing a quick test
shows that builds fail currently with clang [1].

* The VM based approach fails to find a python it can link to. The
container based approach fails due to some dependencies not being white
listed by Travis [2] [3].

[1] https://travis-ci.org/cardoe/xen
[2] https://github.com/travis-ci/apt-package-whitelist/issues/2320
[3] https://github.com/travis-ci/apt-package-whitelist/issues/2321