Re: [Xen-devel] xenbits GitHub mirror?

On Tue, Jan 26, 2016 at 5:26 PM, Doug Goldstein <cardoe@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> If forking the repo significantly easier than just creating an empty one of
>> your own and pushing to it? Is the parent repo "important" in some way in
>> the GH world? (Given that, as George says, we are unlikely to accept
>> contributions via GH pull requests etc).
>>
>> Ian.
>>

> Its not easier or different. I just remembered from the Xen Developer
> Summit that a few people complained that a lot of the patch series
> posted to the ML really should be available as a repo because they were
> quite large and hard to review. I see this comment come up over and over
> on the ML myself as well so I was just trying to lower the barriers to
> people doing that. I know the reason people don't isn't technical so
> this isn't really a technical solution but I figured this is more a
> social thing. GitHub has the ability to mark a repo as a mirror and not
> allow pull requests or issues, which is what I would recommend. I'm just
> looking at improving the community aspect. I could create an
> organization called "xen-mirror" and get it setup and turn it over to
> the Xen Project.

If the problem you see is that most contributors are not posting links
to git branches, I don't think having a github mirror is going to help
in any way -- particularly if you don't actually tell people that's
what you'd like. :-)

Regular contributors are eligible to have accounts on xenbits where
they can upload branches of patch series, and many do.  I do it for
particularly long or complicated patch series (or in the case that one
patch is massive and uninteresting, like removing an entire
directory); the reason I don't do it for *every* patch series though
is that it's an extra step that has to be coordinated properly.

Ian, how hard would it be to modify your xenbugs daemon to make
another webpage containing git am's of series, with the 0/N in the
title?

 -George