Re: [Xen-devel] schedulers and topology exposing questions

On Wed, Jan 27, 2016 at 03:10:01PM +0000, George Dunlap wrote:
> On 27/01/16 14:33, Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk wrote:

> >> So just to clarify: The client sends a request (presumably not much more
> >> than a ping) to the server, and waits for the server to respond before
> >> sending another one; and the server does the reverse -- receives a
> >> request, responds, and then waits for the next request.  Is that right?
> >
> > Yes.
> >>
> >> How much data is transferred?
> >
> > 1 packet, UDP
> >>
> >> If the amount of data transferred is tiny, then the bottleneck for the
> >> test is probably the IPI time, and I'd call this a "ping-pong"
> >> benchmark[1].  I would only call this "io-bound" if you're actually
> >> copying large amounts of data.
> >
> > What we found is that on baremetal the scheduler would put both apps
> > on the same CPU and schedule them right after each other. This would
> > have a high IPI as the scheduler would poke itself.
> > On Xen it would put the two applications on seperate CPUs - and there
> > would be hardly any IPI.
>
> Sorry -- why would the scheduler send itself an IPI if it's on the same
> logical cpu (which seems pretty pointless), but *not* send an IPI to the
> *other* processor when it was actually waking up another task?
>
> Or do you mean high context switch rate?

Yes, very high.

> > Digging deeper in the code I found out that if you do an UDP sendmsg
> > without any timeouts - it would put it in a queue and just call schedule.
>
> You mean, it would mark the other process as runnable somehow, but not
> actually send an IPI to wake it up?  Is that a new "feature" designed

Correct - because the other process was not on its vCPU runqueue.

> for large systems, to reduce the IPI traffic or something?

This is just a normal Linux scheduler. The only way it would do an IPI
to the other CPU was if the UDP message had an timeout. The default
timeout is infite so it didn't bother to send an IPI.

> > On baremetal the schedule would result in scheduler picking up the other
> > task, and starting it - which would dequeue immediately.
> >
> > On Xen - the schedule() would go HLT.. and then later be woken up by the
> > VIRQ_TIMER. And since the two applications were on seperate CPUs - the
> > single packet would just stick in the queue until the VIRQ_TIMER arrived.
>
> I'm not sure I understand the situation right, but it sounds a bit like
> what you're seeing is just a quirk of the fact that Linux doesn't always
> send IPIs to wake other processes up (either by design or by accident),

It does and it does not :-)

> but relies on scheduling timers to check for work to do.  Presumably

It .. I am not explaining it well. The Linux kernel scheduler when
called for 'schedule' (from the UDP sendmsg) would either pick the next
appliction and do a context swap - of if there were none - go to sleep.
[Kind of - it also may do an IPI to the other CPU if requested ,but that
requires
some hints from underlaying layers]
Since there were only two apps on the runqueue - udp sender and udp receiver
it would run them back-to back (this is on baremetal)

However if SMT was not exposed - the Linux kernel scheduler would put those
on each CPU runqueue. Meaning each CPU only had one app on its runqueue.

Hence no need to do an context switch.
[unless you modified the UDP message to have a timeout, then it would
send an IPI]
> they knew that low performance on ping-pong workloads might be a
> possibility when they wrote the code that way; I don't see a reason why
> we should try to work around that in Xen.

Which is not what I am suggesting.

Our first ideas was that since this is a Linux kernel schduler characteristic
- let us give the guest all the information it needs to do this. That is
make it look as baremetal as possible - and that is where the vCPU
pinning and the exposing of SMT information came about. That (Elena
pls correct me if I am wrong) did indeed show that the guest was doing
what we expected.

But naturally that requires pinning and all that - and while it is a useful
case for those that have the vCPUs to spare and can do it - that is not
a general use-case.

So Elena started looking at the CPU bound and seeing how Xen behaves then
and if we can improve the floating situation as she saw some abnormal
behavious.

I do not see any way to fix the udp single message mechanism except
by modifying the Linux kernel scheduler - and indeed it looks like later
kernels modified their behavior. Also doing the vCPU pinning and SMT exposing
did not hurt in those cases (Elena?).