Re: [Xen-devel] xenbits GitHub mirror?

On Wed, 2016-01-27 at 15:18 +0000, Lars Kurth wrote:
> > Doug says that you can mark a repo as a 'mirror', which will prevent
> > people from being able to send pull requests to it; so I think my
> > technical objection has been answered.
> >
> > I think the idea is still only half-baked though, as I'm not sure how
> > having a github mirror will make it so that most mail has a git repo
> > you can pull from (which would be necessary to reach the ultimate
> > goal, making it straightforward to apply patches sent to the list).
>

> I would be good, if we could identify any workflow issues (e.g. such as
> the mailing issue raised here). Maybe some of the people who have hands-on
> experience with Github and mailing lists can make a few suggestions. We
> then should also consider adding this to the How to submit patches wiki
> page

I don't think we want to encourage this for all submissions, nor dive too
deeply into the workflows (given that Doug says we can disable GH PRs for
the repo).

All Doug is trying to address is for the (infrequent) occasions when a
series is particularly big and complicated to be able to say "please stick
this in a git tree to ease review, oh and by the way if you need git
hosting you could fork $this repo on github or $that repo on gitlab".

For most patch series setting up a GH account and pushing the changes to it
etc is pure overhead (or at least optional), there is no need to encourage
it for most series, nor even necessarily to encourage people to proactively
push to a repo, we can always ask if we find the series to hard to review
as patches.

Ian.