Re: [Xen-devel] [Question] PARSEC benchmark has smaller execution time in VM than in native?

On Mon, Feb 29, 2016 at 11:06 AM, Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk
<konrad.wilk@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 26, 2016 at 12:02:50AM -0500, Meng Xu wrote:
>> Hi,
>>

> Hey!
>
> CC-ing Elena.

I think you forgot you cc.ed her..
Anyway, let's cc. her now... :-)

>> We are measuring the execution time between native machine environment
>> and xen virtualization environment using PARSEC Benchmark [1].
>>
>> In virtualiztion environment, we run a domU with three VCPUs, each of
>> them pinned to a core; we pin the dom0 to another core that is not
>> used by the domU.
>>
>> Inside the Linux in domU in virtualization environment and in native
>> environment,  We used the cpuset to isolate a core (or VCPU) for the
>> system processors and to isolate a core for the benchmark processes.
>> We also configured the Linux boot command line with isocpus= option to
>> isolate the core for benchmark from other unnecessary processes.
>
> You may want to just offline them and also boot the machine with NUMA
> disabled.

Right, the machine is booted up with NUMA disabled.
We will offline the unnecessary cores then.

>> We expect that execution time of benchmarks in xen virtualization
>> environment is larger than the execution time in native machine
>> environment. However, the evaluation gave us an opposite result.
>>
>> Below is the evaluation data for the canneal and streamcluster benchmarks:
>>
>> Benchmark: canneal, input=simlarge, conf=gcc-serial
>> Native: 6.387s
>> Virtualization: 5.890s
>>
>> Benchmark: streamcluster, input=simlarge, conf=gcc-serial
>> Native: 5.276s
>> Virtualization: 5.240s
>>
>> Is there anything wrong with our evaluation that lead to the abnormal
>> performance results?
>
> Nothing is wrong. Virtualization is naturally faster than baremetal!
>
> :-)
>
> No clue sadly.

Ah-ha. This is really surprising to me.... Why will it speed up the
system by adding one more layer? Unless the virtualization disabled
some services that occur in native and interfere with the benchmark.

If virtualization is faster than baremetal by nature, why we can see
that some experiment shows that virtualization introduces overhead?

For example, VMware did some evaluation at [1]. Fig. 3 on page 9 shows
that the virtualization (both vmware ESX301 and xen) introduces
overhead and the benchmark is slower in virtualization than in native.

 [1] https://www.vmware.com/pdf/hypervisor_performance.pdf

It seems to me that the performance data may be tweaked (kind of
cooked up) to some extent when people are comparing different
hypervisors. we just need to configure the system in a specific way to
favor one type of hypervisor than the other.

Meng