Re: [Xen-devel] Xentrace on Xilinx ARM

[Adding (back?) George, which wrote and maintains xenalyze, and tracing
in general, and adding ARM people as well, because this is on ARM,
isn't it?]

On Mon, 2016-03-07 at 19:36 +0000, Ben Sanda wrote:
> it was in a mercurial repo here:
> http://xenbits.xensource.com/ext/xenalyze.hg ;
>
> but that repo is no longer functional it seems. I searched through
> the mailing
> lists and it looks like xenalyze was pulled into the mainline and now
> resides in
> tools/xentrace.

That's correct, it's all in tree now.

> I can't determine how to get it to build though. I've tried
> calling make in the directory but that fails. I'm using petalinux
> which has a
> build xen tools make object, which I have also tried, and it
> generates an object
> file for xenalyze.c, but no executable.

Mmm... In an x86 build, this is what I get:
(debian-stable_amd64)dario@Solace:/home/SOURCES/xen/xen/xen.git$ ls
tools/xentrace/xenalyze -lah
-rwxrwxr-x. 1 dario dario 174K Mar  8 12:36 tools/xentrace/xenalyze
(debian-stable_amd64)dario@Solace:/home/SOURCES/xen/xen/xen.git$ ls
dist/install/usr/local/bin/xenalyze -lah
-rwxr-xr-x. 1 dario dario 174K Mar  8 12:36 dist/install/usr/local/bin/xenalyze

I guess we're talking about ARM (cross?) builds, which is something
(especially for tools!) that I really have not much experience with.

Maybe there's more to modify, in terms of Makefile-s, etc., to make
that be build on ARM...

> Could you provide any guidance as to how
> to actually get xenalyze built? I'm assuming it's still an offline
> tool? Or is it now
> built into the Xen image?

It's not part of any Xen image. It's a command line tool to be used,
usually but not necessarily, in dom0, build and installed together with
the other tools... At least in my case, for x86 builds and installs.

Regards,
Dario