Re: [Xen-devel] Question about running Xen on NVIDIA Jetson-TK1

On Tue, May 17, 2016 at 9:37 AM, Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk
<konrad.wilk@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> - The serial controller on the Tegra SoCs doesn't behave in the same
>> was as most NS16550-compatibles; it actually adheres to the NS16550
>> spec a little more rigidly than most compatible controllers. A
>> coworker (Chris Patterson, cc'd) figured out what was going on; from
>> what I understand, most 16550s generate the "transmit ready" interrupt
>> once, when the device first can accept new FIFO entries. Both the
>> original 16550 and the Tegra implementation generate the "transmit
>> ready" interrupt /continuously/ when there's space available in the
>> FIFO, slewing the CPU with a stream of constant interrupts.
>
> That may also be an issue on x86 I would think.

On the x86 serial I have tested, it appears that the THRE interrupt
goes low after the IIR read reset, and doesn't re-assert until
UART_IER is flipped (or data is transmitted).  On the Tegra, the
interrupt persists (or immediately re-asserts) after the IIR read
reset.  I suppose this could be a problem on x86 if this behaviour
exists in another uart.

> Is there some simple 16550 'fix' for this? As in reprogram it
> to not be soo ready?

Yes, I do have a patch in my queue to address this. It simply
implements the start_tx and stop_tx hooks and sets or masks
UART_IER_ETHREI accordingly.  I believe this behaviour is consistent
with the Linux kernel.  I have done some limited testing on it with
both x86 and the Tegra (with additional patches for Tegra support) and
things appear to work well. I can RFC it when our employer gives us
approval.  Apologies for the delay.

Have a good day!
-Chris